Sunday, January 29, 2012

Symptoms of Depression


This is a good "quote" from the National Alliance on Mental Illness website for the symptoms of depression.
http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=54&ContentID=23037

What are the symptoms of depression?

Depression is the other phase of bipolar disorder. The symptoms of depression may include:
  • loss of energy
  • prolonged sadness
  • decreased activity and energy
  • restlessness and irritability
  • inability to concentrate or make decisions
  • increased feelings of worry and anxiety
  • less interest or participation in, and less enjoyment of activities normally enjoyed
  • feelings of guilt and hopelessness
  • thoughts of suicide
  • change in appetite (either eating more or eating less)
  • change in sleep patterns (either sleeping more or sleeping less)

I share this quote to educate those who may not know or understand depression.


When I am depressed I don't necessarily experience ALL of these symptoms,
 but I do experience a good handful.
The degree or intensity of the symptoms varies.

Just because I take medication for my illness doesn't mean I don't get depressed.
It is BECAUSE I follow my doctor's orders
that the severity of my symptoms are lessened and I am better able to manage my illness.